Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sooo i have a 1998 jaguar xj8 i picked up for little money,car runs GREAT starts no problem and drives fantastic...but im haveing an issue with the lights...running lights in back, and plate lights,and the little lights in the highbeams stay on when the car is shut off...they flicker and so does the side light illumination on the dash,and the hazard button light is also on but very dim...side lights dont work at all(bulbs all good)(connections are spotless)...when this occurs (all the time) i can hear the relay in the truck for lights clicking...i remove the relay and everything still flashes eradicly...if i turn the lights on or in auto on switch,then they just stay on...im lost...any ideas???

98 jag xj8
lights that stay on and flash when car not running
rear running lights
plate lights
dash light for side lights
hazard button light (really dim)

none of the side lights work (bulbs good)(connectors good)

ive removed ALL relays and fuses to these lights and they still stay on or flicker depending on position of light switch...i pulled bulbs so battery wont die...everything works fine when car is running and driving(other then side lights)
abs ,airbag,traction control warning lights also lit...but those were all lit up before the problem started...possible grounding issue???
taking it to a dealership is out of the question...id scrap it before paying them a dime...have had bad run ins with them...

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
It's all driven from the body processor. (which is behind the glovebox)

I guess you could have a poke about with that and its connector. If that doesn't help source a replacement.
As you say, check grounds nearby.
Check fuseboxes at the base of the rear seats are ok and no loose connections.

The relay in the boot/truck is used for the numberplate lights and sidemarkers (oval lights in the bumper on the side of the car)
So when the relay is removed these lights should go out.

your terminology is a bit confusing to me. I don't understand which lights aren't coming on. or are they just not working when they should?

Hazzard switch being dim is normal. It's illumination.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanx for the response and giving me something to at least look at...the problem is the tail lights,plate lights,and the little lights in highbeams Wont shut off when i shut the car off....

if the light switch on my column is in the off position when i turn the car off those lights flicker...
when i turn the switch to auto,they just stay on...
when this occurs,the light on dash that indicates the sidelights are on, also stays lit,or flickers with those lights...

ALSO different issue or maybe in conjuction....my side lights dont work at all...

ive checked all bulbs,relays,and fuses...all check out fine,all contacts are clean and solid...replaced my cigar lighter fuse while in the heel kicks,lol

i'll pull the glove out and have a looksey and crack free the multitap ground connctors and clean them up,see if that helps...

i should also add,that when the car is running,and the switch is set to off,the lights are off...

no led lights have been installed...they are all standard bulbs

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
ALSO different issue or maybe in conjuction....my side lights dont work at all...
Can you explain what you mean by this ?

I guess you could also try unplugging the light stalk and seeing if that stop the issue.

A common issue is that a wire on the back of the stalk comes loose (needs re-soldering) and this usually stops the side lights from working. I've never known them to flicker. But it got to be worth a look

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
No the indicator stalk.
The one you twist to turn the lights on.

The more you say, it does sound like a wire has come off the back of it.

Have a look with a mirror.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pulled the steering column apart and had a look at the stalk,everything is clean and connected...also pulled the body control module,all contacts are solid...opened up the body module and everything looks good in there also,not to rule that out,wish i had one to test with,lol...just about got the whole dash apart looking at everything,what a mess jaguar has with their wireing setup,oh lord!....figured id just go through everything,lol...but no luck...i move the radio harness around though and seems to stop and start again,but just to intermittent to nail down the issue...im going to keep poking proding and wiggleing things around untill i either give up and replace the module for shits and giggles or find a loose wire...whatever comes first

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
The one thing that comes to mind is a dirty column switch. I recall many times that the ford switches (in particular) tended to attract dust and stop things working as they should. Take the stalk of and liberally spray WD40 or Silicone Spray in the gap between the stalk and the switch. Operate the switch a number of times through all positions and see if that solves the problem. A long shot I know but could be something as simple as that.

Roger

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'll give it a shot...just found out that when i turn the gauge illumination dial to full on,it shut the problem lights off,lol ha ha ha! i took the guages out,they needed a good cleaning and half of it wasnt lighting up so bout ready to pull the light bulbs and have a look...

update,2 bulbs were blown for gauges...going to store to get replacements...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts