XJR air box flap

JimC64

Reaction score
I have fitted a Caldoofy intake because the original one was unnecessarily complex with lots of different size resonance chambers when all it needs is a straight pipe.
Good call, as have many others too.
The flap opens at wide open throttle and some do remove it, the aperture is below the filter element so the air passes thru the filter as normal. The debate on removal runs that the air will be warm from the engine bay and the air will be taken from the path of least resistance. I wangled a duct from the rad grill behind the headlight and it terminates right outside of the flap. Given that you might be shifting a bit when you mash it and if you have your hand out the window at speed its gets proper cold i theorise that when my flap is open its getting rammed with ice cold fast air.
Makes sense Pete, surprised its not on the market as the Sheppy intake already ;)
You can see my ram air trumpet top right of the grill

Have to really look mind
Nice pic, remember that day well

Jim

Alec Escolme

Reaction score
My old one was long gone when I bought the car. Probably wil do it to the Daimler, any diference, who knows...

FlatCap

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
The principle of delivering smooth cold air the the engine is a corner stone of tuning, there are other enhancements withing the airbox that are cheap and easy to do, working on the principles of marginal gains.

Robinus

Reaction score
Apparently the only time warmer air gets into the airbox with the flap removed is at stationary or walking pace. If the airbox is the same as the STR, it's a very good design according to Count Iblis.

Robinus

Reaction score
I have fitted a Caldoofy intake because the original one was unnecessarily complex with lots of different size resonance chambers when all it needs is a straight pipe.
I believe it was designed like that to reduce & minimise the s/c whine.