xk 140- 120 engines

ronisme

Reaction score
Not sure if this the right pace to post my question; What is the difference between an XK SE equipped engine and one equipped with the C head in terms of performance top speed, acceleration? Thanks.

ron

ponsaloti

I Have Donated !
Forum Sponsor
Reaction score
May not be of any help but I wouldn't believe any of the performance figures or top speeds claimed back in the day.
All the nonsense about standard v12 e-types doing 150 mph.
The nose starts to lift at about 135 and steering goes very light. You cant read the speedo at 140 because your eyeballs are bouncing around in your head, plus your bum gets very worm and squishy. Your elbows lock up and your feet get proper sweaty. Probably different symptoms on a race track
You'd be very lucky if a standard 6 pot E-type would do more than 130mph.

ronisme

Reaction score
Ha! think I I had my 120 over 135 one time down in the desert. Speedo needle was bouncing off the 140 mark so that's just a guess. I really didn't have time to look at the gauges, I was too concerned about a wheel coming apart or blowing a tire. God must protect the young and stupid.....................

ponsaloti

I Have Donated !
Forum Sponsor
Reaction score
He's asking about XK120s, not E-Types.
Yes I can see that.
Similar artistic licence was used by "experts" talking about Xk's and e-types.
Obviously only my opinion, but it is based on experience rather than Jibba Jabba quoted by journalist's.

Apologies to ron for dragging the question off topic.

Oh, and dont get me started about the breaks