Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's common, since the X-Type used the Mondeo chassis, for non-Jaguar people to assume that every part of every Jaguar is really a Mondeo.

However I was surprised in Halfords today, when asking as assistant what sort of oil to get for my 4.2, to be told it was based on a Mondeo engine (implication being that whatever oil a Mondeo used would be right for the Jag). Was he right and if so which engine is it based on?

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
The assistant was probably thinking of the X Type. The XK was not based on a Ford engine as far as I know. The best oil is that quoted in your handbook.

Roger

·
Administrator
10,093 Posts
The AJ-V8 Gen1-3 is a Jaguar engine made at Bridgend Ford plant in a separate facility. It contains no Ford parts from any other engine. In fact Jaguar pushed for a bespoke V8 engine when Ford had a ready to go V8 engine off the shelf as it wanted smoothness above anything else to rival Lexus at the time.

The V6 S/C engine in other current Jaguars is based on the AJ-V8 with same block with back two cylinders blocked off.

The older NASP V6 found the X-Type/S-Type/XF/XJ was based on the duratec V6 which was designed by Porsche, bought by Ford, tuned by Mazda and fettled slightly again by Jaguar, the Ford version had different tappet design. (The camshafts have Mazda stamps on them). Join two of these engines together and you have the glorious V12 found in Aston Martins!

The only part that I know to be used on the X-Type that’s also on the XK is the headlight washer pump. There could also be a few other parts.

The S-Type/XK/XF/XJ all have variants of the DEW98 platform as they all have a very similar suspension setup and other components.

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts
I gave up spending stupid money on Castrol nearly a year ago,

This is what I use

I change my oil every 6k or so myself and it's done exactly as it says on the bottle.

My super was manufactured by Ford, hence the reason for using their own correct spec oil.

I had an original ignition coil go on me last Christmas, what came out had FoMoCo stamped on it, as did what replaced it.

Ford Motor Company

Rich

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
As per previous posts, the guy in Halfords is mistaken. This was a bespoke Jaguar engine. Ford may have used it in other cars stateside, but it was designed and built in the UK, by Jaguar.

I know it's common, since the X-Type used the Mondeo chassis, for non-Jaguar people to assume that every part of every Jaguar is really a Mondeo.

However I was surprised in Halfords today, when asking as assistant what sort of oil to get for my 4.2, to be told it was based on a Mondeo engine (implication being that whatever oil a Mondeo used would be right for the Jag). Was he right and if so which engine is it based on?

·
Registered
621 Posts
However I was surprised in Halfords today, when asking as assistant what sort of oil to get for my 4.2, to be told it was based on a Mondeo engine (implication being that whatever oil a Mondeo used would be right for the Jag). ?
Halfords have an in-house system available to the general public. All you do is input your car registration and your oil specification will come up. The same system is available on Halfords website. I find it very accurate. Engine oil for the XK is normally not stocked, but can be ordered online through their website.

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
The AJ-V8 Gen1-3 is a Jaguar engine made at Bridgend Ford plant in a separate facility. It contains no Ford parts from any other engine. In fact Jaguar pushed for a bespoke V8 engine when Ford had a ready to go V8 engine off the shelf as it wanted smoothness above anything else to rival Lexus at the time.

The V6 S/C engine in other current Jaguars is based on the AJ-V8 with same block with back two cylinders blocked off.
It is quite possible that both X-Type engines and the Gen I and II AJ-V8s share the same oil spec but the X-Type never had a V8 so it would not necessarily be expected to be the same oil.

Ford used the Jaguar-designed AJ-V8 in other Ford cars but maybe not in exactly the same versions as the Jaguar ones. I fully expect that there are shared parts between the many internal customers' of that V8.

The Gen III 5.0 engine is an "all-new" design compared with the Gen I/II engines and a more expensive to make and different product from the Ford Coyote 5.0. Apparently there are no shared parts here but it is hard to be 100% sure. The current 3.0 V6 (A126) is a derivative of the V8 AJ133: https://blog.caranddriver.com/block-party-creating-a-v-6-by-declaring-two-cylinders-redundant/

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
a slight correction....

the AJ-V8 does have quite a few Ford components, but its not easy to tell where they came from.

When I had my 4.4 apart, there were a few parts that I needed in the cam drive assembly, and I was able to track these down using their Ford part numbers actually marked on the units. Some were indeed Mondeo units.

What really happens is that the engine design team (mostly Jaguar) design the motor using their systems in place at the time - which was under Ford ownership. This means that they have access to the Ford parts bin and can quite easily use parts already designed under other programmes. Their new parts will also have Ford-style part numbers, which I noted changed once the Ford-Land Rover partnership dissolved.

Ford parts are marked with a source code, which enables you to understand the programme under which they were originally designed

There is no doubt that the engine is a thoroughly "Jaguar" piece, from end to end. But saying that it doesn't have some Mondeo parts can't be done

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Halfords have an in-house system available to the general public. All you do is input your car registration and your oil specification will come up. The same system is available on Halfords website. I find it very accurate. Engine oil for the XK is normally not stocked, but can be ordered online through their website.
I'd previously done this from home and e-mailed the resulting choice to Chiltern for advice as to the best one. From the list they recommended Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30, and they had it in store so that's what I got. The in-store gadget did the same.

My amber warning light came on when the assistant, for some reason, made the Ford Mondeo comment. As you say he may have mistaken XK for X, but the capacity was clearly showing; I pointed out that there was no Mondeo 4.2; I can't recall his reply but I think we agreed to part on the idea that the 4.2V8 was two Mondeo 4-pots stuck together. I didn't think it for a second but had no further info so thought it best to smile and pretend to go along with it. The main thing is I got the right oil :)

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I'd previously done this from home and e-mailed the resulting choice to Chiltern for advice as to the best one. From the list they recommended Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30, and they had it in store so that's what I got. The in-store gadget did the same.

That's the oil I used on my last oil change, and perfectly satisfied with it.
Thanks Ashanti for the tip about Fords own oil, this is a good bit cheaper than the Mobil oil and the same spec.

I am due oil change in January so will use this.

Good tips again from a good forum...........................................IP

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts

That's the oil I used on my last oil change, and perfectly satisfied with it.
Thanks Ashanti for the tip about Fords own oil, this is a good bit cheaper than the Mobil oil and the same spec.

I am due oil change in January so will use this.

Good tips again from a good forum...........................................IP
My pleasure IP,

The last 20L I bought from Ford direct cost me £79 delivered, the same price it is today.

You might be luckier, but a visit to my local Ford parts department had me leaving with a flea in my ear,

Price match, Sir? what's that?

Naturally if you or anyone else can get the recommended Castrol for £4 a litre, stick with it ;)

This is a great forum, isn't it :-D

Rich

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
My pleasure IP,

The last 20L I bought from Ford direct cost me £79 delivered, the same price it is today.

You might be luckier, but a visit to my local Ford parts department had me leaving with a flea in my ear,

Price match, Sir? what's that?

Naturally if you or anyone else can get the recommended Castrol for £4 a litre, stick with it ;)

This is a great forum, isn't it :-D

Rich
Just rang my local Ford dealer (I'm in the Republic of Ireland) and their price is 25euros (£22.22) for 5litres. A bit more than you pay, but that's about average for here.

The last oil change I used Mobil Super 3000 which cost £31/5ltr. and before that Castrol Magnatec @ £41.25/5ltrs! (Halfords)

Thanks again for the heads up.........................IP

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Genuinely don't understand the hating towards the X-type for being based on the Mondeo. The generation of Mondeo it was based on was a multiple award winning car. Most mainstream cars these days are based on something else anyway. I'd far rather have a Ford than most of the supposedly "superior" German stuff on the go these days, considering a Mustang next.

As for oil, I generally go to www.opieoils.co.uk.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Just rang my local Ford dealer (I'm in the Republic of Ireland) and their price is 25euros (£22.22) for 5litres. A bit more than you pay, but that's about average for here.

The last oil change I used Mobil Super 3000 which cost £31/5ltr. and before that Castrol Magnatec @ £41.25/5ltrs! (Halfords)

Thanks again for the heads up.........................IP
IP Castrol only comes in 4lt container's these days

·
Registered
609 Posts
I"P Castrol only comes in 4lt container's these days" - Mostly - but I just bought 20L Castrol Magnatec A5 Ford specs and they came in 5L cans. £79 delivered as well...

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
IP Castrol only comes in 4lt container's these days
Thanks , I knew this, but as we were talking about other brands prices for 5 litres I calculated what the Castrol would cost for 5 litres.
I have to buy more than 5 litres as my engine takes 6.5 litres. I didn't check yet if the Ford oil comes in a 2 itre bottle as well

Happy days........................IP

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Genuinely don't understand the hating towards the X-type for being based on the Mondeo. The generation of Mondeo it was based on was a multiple award winning car. Most mainstream cars these days are based on something else anyway.
Indeed, I hear the Bentley Bentayga is basically an Audi.

When I had an S-Type the bloke at the garage had a 'haha-told-you-so' snigger every time he found a part with a Ford logo on it. As you say, it is rather silly (and rude and pointless).

·
Banned
7,619 Posts
It almost amounts to a form of snobbery at times , this sort of behaviour . I think for many the concept of Ford both owning
Jaguar and sharing some components with other models was hard to accept . I don't think the press and the Media helped
much in this regard either , I remember Clarkson pointing out the Ford Ignition Barrel sourced from a Transit .
Here is the funny thing though , I have never encountered this snobbery with the DB9 which again shares many Ford Items ,
I don't know why that is ?

·
Registered
108 Posts
The order they brought the cars out didn’t help. Had the X type been for sale first it would have ‘lifted’ the mondeo as it would be based on a jag, but instead the premium product became based on the cheap one and as such gets a slagging. Audi’s get away with it all the time being really just posh Skoda/vw but we have all forgotten what order they came out in!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.