Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i recently purchased a 2000 xkr with 130,000 miles. the price reflected the transmission issue. normal driving is fine, trany shifts up and down as supposed to. while accelerating on a incline ramp to the interstate i floored the pedal, the trany jumped out of gear into neutral. i thought this might be the downshift solenoid but that functions properly at lower throttle. the trany fluid level is normal. i have not changed the fluid or filter yet, thats next. is this an indication that i need to have the transmission rebuilt? anyone else have this issue? thanks, jag rookie

·
Registered
0 Posts
hello, i recently purchased a 2000 xkr with 130,000 miles. the price reflected the transmission issue. normal driving is fine, trany shifts up and down as supposed to. while accelerating on a incline ramp to the interstate i floored the pedal, the trany jumped out of gear into neutral. i thought this might be the downshift solenoid but that functions properly at lower throttle. the trany fluid level is normal. i have not changed the fluid or filter yet, thats next. is this an indication that i need to have the transmission rebuilt? anyone else have this issue? thanks, jag rookie
my 2000 xk8 does a similar thing at a stop sign or signal . Pops out of gear then back in.only does this rarely. The car has about 80000 miles on it. Does the trans need oil change.

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts
my 2000 xk8 does a similar thing at a stop sign or signal . Pops out of gear then back in.only does this rarely. The car has about 80000 miles on it. Does the trans need oil change.
If it hasn’t been done in the past then it’s well worth doing now.

Reactions: orsom weels

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Despite Jaguars claim that the transmission is 'sealed for life', ZF, who actually make the gearboxes recommend the fluid and filter is changed at around 100,000 KM's (60,000 Miles) or 8 years, whichever comes first.
Over the years/miles, there can be some natural fluid loss, so levels may be low, which can cause all sorts of issues, as can old fluid. It won't cure any mechanical/electronics faults (check for fault codes with a Jaguar specific scanner/code reader for these), but will massively revitalise an otherwise good transmission.

Regards,
OW

Reactions: JimboV8
1 - 5 of 5 Posts