Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has been covered before.

I've suffered the dead battery syndrome once again this morning.

Nearly a year ago this problem started I read somewhere that this is a regular occurrence with this Model 2012 SWB XJ. It was happening every four or five weeks, at the time when it started I would trot round to my local garage and ask one of their engineers to pop round to mine to open up the boot so they could remove the battery for them to charge up. After the third time of this happening I wise up and bought myself a Jump starter and a battery charger albeit only for a 1200cc engine. My question is; is there a reason why this happens and if so can it be fixed? I have had the battery tested and theres nothing wrong with it...thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you lock your car? Only short-distance drives? I would eventually replace the battery anyway (I assume it is the original one).
The majority of times I do make short journeys its only very occasionally I make a long one. While the car is parked on my drive I don't lock it only when I'm parking in a supermarket car park I do. I have had the battery tested and while its out of the car the battery is fine no power loss after several days.
It is the original.. cheers

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Buy a CTEK battery Conditioner (or similar), and use it once a week. You can leave it charging until you next want to use the car: Days, weeks or months, it doesn’t matter.

Your car is using power even when turned off, since systems are still working: More so, when it is unlocked. So it is using battery power all the time, and short journeys are not enough to recharge it properly.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I leave it unlocked because rightly or wrongly thought that the alarm system at first was draining the battery but have learnt since the battery drains no matter what I do...

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
What are your thoughts regarding solar panel chargers, the AA do one that plugs into the cars EOBD socket ?
They tend to be low powered, so not sufficient to maintain charge for batteries like ours, especially in wintertime when the the light is at its lowest and our need is at its greatest.
I use my CTEK every week, and the peace of mind knowing that my battery is always fully charged is definately worth it!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They tend to be low powered, so not sufficient to maintain charge for batteries like ours, especially in wintertime when the the light is at its lowest and our need is at its greatest.
I use my CTEK every week, and the peace of mind knowing that my battery is always fully charged is definately worth it!
May I ask which of the CTEK models do you have ?

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you're only doing short journeys, I'd also switch off the automatic interior lights, auto headlights and auto wiper function to save battery power. I also only turn on forward assist on long journeys. This might help reduce power drain. But I'm no mechanic although it seems to work for me as I'd had battery issues driving in London which are ok now.

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts
May I ask which of the CTEK models do you have ?
This One

Is what most of us have and swear by.

Mine goes on if the car is likely to be unused for 24 hours or more.

Rich

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're only doing short journeys, I'd also switch off the automatic interior lights, auto headlights and auto wiper function to save battery power. I also only turn on forward assist on long journeys. This might help reduce power drain. But I'm no mechanic although it seems to work for me as I'd had battery issues driving in London which are ok now.
I will surely try this cheers..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes Johnny, mains supplied.
Thanks Jimbov8 ....... I was expecting a sarcastic remark from someone but there is still time I reckon.......thanks everyone once again. Will give the turning off of things first just in case that does the trick....message to myself must at least use the Jag once a week..

·
Premium Member
23,824 Posts
I also have the 10 as well as the 7.5. For your info Johnny, the numbers refer to the maximum output current for each model. For a completely flat battery the 5.0 model may get a little warm as the battery starts to charge.

·
Premium Member
23,824 Posts
In the pack there will be croc clips, if you prefer or, the direct to battery terminal rings. I have mine direct to the battery and that’s the way it stays.
You don’t need to disconnect the battery for charging.

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts
Is there need to disconnect the battery first or can it just be clipped on using the croc clips.......?
It should come with a 'Comfort Lead" as well as the croc clips.

You connect the positive to the same terminal on the battery and the negative to a ground stud, likely to be beside the battery housing.

Once done you just poke the connector out from under the floor cover when you need it and connect the 2.5m lead to the Ctek.

It really is that easy.

Any help needed when you've got one will be gladly given should you need it, the thing you need to do now is buy one.

Mine is easily the best xmas present the wife has 'bought me' in years.

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts
In the pack there will be croc clips, if you prefer or, the direct to battery terminal rings. I have mine direct to the battery and that's the way it stays.
You don't need to disconnect the battery for charging.
Jimbo, 2 jags Jonny is in your backyard.

nudge, nudge, wink, wink

:-D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.