Jaguar X300 GUIDE to: Replacing a clock in an X300 (Blue LCD)

JSeaman

Reaction score
Step 18 - you can see that a conductive strip glues the ribbon cable to the display and board, this can simply be peeled away (if being replaced rather than squeezed back on)

XJCLStep18a.jpg

XJCLStep18b.jpg

Step 19 - The LCD screen simply unclips from the mounting bracket and can be removed easily

XJCLStep19.jpg

Step 20 - If only you could solder to the LCD screen you would be able to re-make the 28 connections however you will need to get some special cable to fix these connections. At this stage I decided to go down the path of getting a new LCD screen and eBay revealed a 12V LED clock for £10 delivered from China.

I bought "12V Blue LED Digital Electric Clock For Car Motorcycle" from a seller called topthinkstore, it was 9.99 and took a while to arrive (4 weeks) but is an economical way to go

XJCLStep20.jpg

JSeaman

Reaction score
Step 21 - First, the two tabs need to go - I just ground them off. This makes it a nice fit in the stock housing as shown in the last picture

XJCLStep21a.jpg

XJCLStep21b.jpg

XJCLStep21c.jpg

XJCLStep21d.jpg

JSeaman

Reaction score
Step 22 - You get a large green button for setting the time on this clock (press and hold for minutes of press repeatedly to change the hour), which I didn't want so I cut it off at a sensible length to allow me to wire it to the existing buttons (about 6 inches) and removed the sheath

XJCLStep22a.jpg

XJCLStep22b.jpg

XJCLStep22c.jpg

JSeaman

Reaction score
Step 23 - I then stripped and tinned the ends of the wire with some solder and snipped them down to size

XJCLStep23a.jpg

XJCLStep23b.jpg

XJCLStep23c.jpg

JSeaman

Reaction score
Step 24 - I wanted to use the existing hour button to control my new clock so chose SW2 (switch 2 on the PCB as shown). You need to solder opposite corners as shown in the second picture

XJCLStep24a.jpg

XJCLStep24b.jpg

JSeaman

Reaction score
Step 25 - Add a little solder to each of the pins then solder the wires on as shown. Use some hot melt to cover the solder joint and first centimetre or so of the wire for mechanical restraint

XJCLStep25a.jpg

XJCLStep25b.jpg

XJCLStep25c.jpg

JSeaman

Reaction score
Step 26 - Now onto the display, the stock plastic film is quite large and, as shown in the first picture, bigger than our new display. A simple and very effective approach is to just use a permanent marker to black it out (you could paint it if preferred)

XJCLStep26a.jpg

XJCLStep26b.jpg

JSeaman

Reaction score
Step 27 - Drop the plastic film into the enclosure for the clock and apply some hot melt glue to hold it in place as shown. Ensure no glue goes through to the other side (if it does, let the hot melt cool and use a sharp Stanley blade to tidy it)

XJCLStep27a.jpg

XJCLStep27b.jpg

XJCLStep27c.jpg

XJCLStep27.jpg

JSeaman

Reaction score
Step 28 - Pop the clock into place and secure with another dose of hot melt (make sure the clock is the right way up!!)

XJCLStep28a.jpg

XJCLStep28b.jpg

Step 29 - Now pass the 3 wires through the PCB as shown

XJCLStep29a.jpg

XJCLStep29b.jpg

JSeaman

Reaction score
Step 30 - Carefully pop the PCB back into the enclosure and make sure you don't trap any of your new wires when clipping it together

XJCLStep30a.jpg

XJCLStep30b.jpg

XJCLStep30c.jpg

XJCLStep30d.jpg